Many time travelers come to Tahoe and they get overwhelmed with a number of things there are to do. Whether you are traveling during the summer or winter, you can always find something to do.
1. The first and most obvious activity would be to get out on the lake! There are many options for going out on the lake during snow or shine! During warmer months you rent a personal boat, jet skis, and paddle boards! If you want to get even more adventurous, you can rent a wakeboard or water skis. These options will give you the freedom to get out and explore. If traveling in those cooler months, you can take a boat tour on one of Tahoe’s Paddle Wheelers or Lake Yachts. These are great for either day and evening because you will be protected from the outside elements. There are many options depending on what side of the lake you are starting from.
2. The second activity is only available during the winter season. As the snow starts to fall, our mountains turn into some of the best winter sports resorts in the US. Tahoe is centrally located between world-class ski resorts such as Heavenly Mountain Resort, Kirkwood Resort, Homewood Mountain Resort, Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort and Northstar California Resort. At each location, you can enjoy days packed full of powder as you descend down the mountain. Many locations also have a visiting are where you can go tubing or sledding with the family!
3. The third activity that is a must do in Tahoe requires a little work! There are countless hiking and biking trails all around the lake. Many of these trails lead to waterfalls, amazing lake views, and even their own secluded lakes. The best time to venture these trail between late spring and early fall (depending on snowfall). Bring a group along and make it the ultimate Tahoe adventure!
4. Much like hiking, you can do the winter version and go snowshoeing. When the mountains are covered in snow and you want to go out and explore, snowshoeing is a great way to do just that. Also, you can try out cross country skiing! You don’t need a ski pass to do this but be prepared for a hike up. Both of these options are a great way to explore the mountains around the lake just be sure to have someone with you to guide the way.
5. The last on this list is something every visitor should do at least once! Emerald Bay is one of the most photographed sites in lake Tahoe and rightly so. You can visit this location by boat or car! During the summer you can hike, swim, boat, paddle board and kayak around the bay. In the center lays a little island that has a historic landmark hidden at the top. The lovely stone tea castle is a must see! To get the most out of your visit in the winter months, take a covered boat around the bay and see it up close!